Friday, August 3, 2012

On my way East

  I am headed East for my Aunt Suzy's memorial service today. This morning I said goodbye to Pullman, Max, and Dolly and took off into the sky. We had an interesting morning flight. The flight attendants were really funny and friendly! I sat across the aisle from the girls basketball coach for Idaho State and a very grumpy old man, who insisted he be moved because there were too many people coughing in the middle of the plane. I don't think the coach minded that he left.
  We passed Mt. Rainer on the way into Seattle. I could see a bit of it but I was in the aisle seat so I had to crane my neck to see. One of my rules of traveling is to always get the aisle seat. It's so much easier to get up and use the bathroom, and you don't have to feel guilty about waking the person next to you to get out if they happen to be asleep. My other rules are:


  • Wear comfortable clothes in layers: Planes can go from hot to cold in a heartbeat, and if your stuck in airports all day you deserve to be comfy while you wait or run for your flight.
  • Bring your own food: Airport food is expensive! If you've already paid hundreds of dollars for a flight do you really need to pay $15.00 for a sandwich or $5.00 for a cup of yogurt? No way! I usually pack granola or protein bars that I can use as meal replacements. Many people also bring fruit, crackers, or trail mix as well. I also usually save my airplane snacks if I don't eat them. That way I don't exhaust my food supply
  • Get a (temporary) water bottle: After I go through security I usually buy a pop or some water, and refill it with water from the drinking fountains in the terminal as needed. This way I can stay hydrated without buying more water or relying on the tiny cups they give you on the flight. Tiny cups do not a hydrated person make.
  • Keep important things easily accessible: This goes for before and after security! If you hold up 20 people for 10 minutes while you dig through your pocket for you boarding pass and ID, then have to dig out your laptop and phone, then take off your shoes, then get bleeped by the metal detector because in your haste you forgot your watch, belt, manacles, whatever! Do you really think you are going to avoid a cavity search? I don't think so. And if you are late for your gate because of said cavity search, and then have to dig through your stuff again for the boarding passes that you so hurriedly jammed back in your stuff, and make the plane late, well, I won't tell you what happens then.     Keep your ID and boarding passes in one easily accessible place. Avoid wearing or keeping a bunch of metallic stuff on your person (I'm looking at you, man with 20 lbs. of loose change in your pockets!). Don't pile stuff on top of your lap top or phone so you can't get them out easily, and wear comfy shoes you can get on and off quickly. This way you can keep yourself and everybody else happy!
 
There you go! Five tips for happy traveling. Don't you feel so much better about your future trips? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment