Wednesday, September 5, 2012

It's always 70 and sunny in Pullman, WA!

  One of the deans of our Vet school used to always say, "It's always 70 and sunny in Manhattan, KS!" Obviously he missed the summer days that were frequently between 105-109 degrees, the spring and autumn storms, and the frigid, windy winters.I'm sure there were some days that were 70 and sunny...but they were few and far between.

  In Pullman, WA however, it is frequently 70 and sunny! This week has been bright and beautiful. Every day has been warm in the sun, cool in the shade and sunny (except for an early morning rain storm). I have been spending some time outside, but unfortunately the majority of my time has been spent inside doing a multitude of things from job searching to cooking to volunteering. My main ventures out of doors have been to walk to the vet school to volunteer.

  Now before you start thinking I am being an excellent person by not driving to school, there is actually quite another reason I have resigned myself to walking to volunteer. Over the summer we had a parking pass that a departing intern gifted to us. Unfortunately school has started up again, which means new parking passes. Max and I were planning on getting one until we realized the cheapest passes were $215.00. Since we are still battling the insurance company payments, we decided that for the time being it is best to hold off. While this will most likely continue through the fall, I'm not sure how we will fare in winter.

  It's really hard to believe school is back in session. Aside from a little more traffic and students waiting at the bus stops, things aren't that different. There was a football game last night and we couldn't even tell! After living across from the stadium in Manhattan for four years, it was amazing to know there was a game going on and that we were still able to live our lives normally.

  Last night was a little difficult. Max didn't get off work until around 7:00. I waited for him in the intern office for 2 hours because I wanted to walk home together. On our way home we discussed me trying to lose weight and our Internet troubles, because I have been really frustrated about both of those things lately. By the time we got home I was quite depressed. Max got on the phone with our ISP and got the Internet functioning again. Then because I was down and out we decided to make pizza for dinner and headed to the store. We gathered the ingredients and Max surprised me by buying turkey pepperoni, which tastes just as good but has half the calories of regular pepperoni! He made our pizza, which was delicious, and then we spent the rest of the evening relaxing.

  This morning I got up and felt pretty good. The sun is shining, I have things to do, and I feel a little better about life in general. Everything will work out, and I am very blessed to have such a wonderful husband to help me get through the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment